Sunday, November 2, 2008

Ike Tuner

First and foremost, my bloggers cherry is in the process of popping while typing this, so excuse anything that may be overly glib or amateurish.

Perhaps I should have started differently, with a statement of purpose or direction. What is the purpose of our creating this blog? What are we trying to achieve?
Well for starters, theres two of us. Im presently typing this in New York City, while my other 50% of the blog lays his head in San Francisco. We've grown up listening, sharing, and influencing our respective musical aptitudes and decided to start this as a way to keep each other posted, as well as inspired to what we're doing.

Is there more I should add?

Onto what Ive been meaning to post for like, ever..






Ike Tuner & The Kings of Rhythm came out with A Black Mans Soul in 1969, which was a time where funk was at our equivalent of mid 90's hip hop. Everything was dope and this album is no exception. Its difficult to express how moving good art can be; ummm....
Ike Turner beat Tina constantly and died fairly recently atop a mountain of cocaine. I dont know why its necessary to mention this, but everyone who ever says anything about Ike seems bent on saying so. Though its sad he was a less than outstanding citizen, Ike Turner was a truly incredible composer.
I often profess to love funk a lot more than I actually do when it comes to listening to music. Why listen to an hour of blaring horns with synchronized concessions from an ensemble when Primo can sample it, loop it, and have me listening to the same beat for 30 minutes. Nas or Jay still grab me from jump and Im left with a constant craving for music with urgency, or more simply, words.
This album is different, and on my list of shit to put on whenever, and easily one of my favorite albums. Look, heres what I want to say; for me this album speaks volumes, and its because of Ike's genius when composing a song.  Throughout this album, the production and flow of everyone is flawless and grabbing. Everything sounds so damn soulful. I have yet to hear someone better at leading a track while simultaneously leading everyone to do what you want to do as well as Ike Turner (he did make like 20 albums with Tina) and sounding so fluid while doing it. Tracks actually gain composition as the album progresses. I cant get enough of this album, yo.

P.S.
If the track 'getting nasty' were never created, there would be no Main Source, Nas, or any underground hip hop movement.




http://www.zshare.net/download/5117794061d9395b/




No comments: