Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pharcyde- Testing the Waters

Initially I didnt really plan on posting anything for a minute because I've been bogged down with prolonged responsibilities, but this album came on play yesterday and took me back and I thought youd like it if you didnt already have it.



I cant really front on how much Pharcyde means to me. While other groups taught me more about life and how to live, Pharcyde made me feel better for being me. Ortega actually leant me Bizarre Ride in 9th grade, and while I dont remember anything he taught me, I do remember how that album grabbed me immediately and made me think that things might turn out alright with the girls I was crushin on (they didnt turn out all right).

I dont know if you remember this, but back in the day in that shopping center on Laurel and Ventura there was a WHEREHOUSE music store on the eastern front. This store is largely accredited with teaching me to steal, and in between iced coffee drinks and cigarettes I would take a deep breath, go in, and test the steadiness of me hand. This album is one of the first I got away with, and though it was released to lackluster reviews I thought it was dope and entered quickly into my rotation of 'music to listen to when stoned or depressed' which in high school, took up roughly 97% of the time.

It was released in 2000, and was a precursor to the equally flat effort Plain Rap (id like this to be blue with a link but dont know how). Its the first run of the group without its lifeforce, Fatlip, and to me at least, it sounds like theres a greater melancholy to Pharcyde, like a group of kids who have less of an idea of what theyre doing than before, but still trying really hard. Hella dope cut on the album: pain. That song was my joint!


link here for album: http://sharebee.com/2ce1d89b

1 comment:

Granny Wesson said...

Dont remember that warehouse, but I do remember your story of malcom in the middle seeing you run for cover.